On July 3rd Oscar finally went for his first real swim. He went in and retrieved his tennis ball. It was a very exciting moment for us! Previously he was scared of the water and has only been gradually getting his feet and belly wet but never going in to the point where he couldn't touch the bottom. Today was finally the day! Now we just have to start having him retrieve dummies in the water. He is such a smart dog and we have really enjoyed training him.
On the 4th we left early (relatively) to go down to Seward, AK to watch the mountain marathon and enjoy the ocean. Traffic wasn't bad on the way out there because everyone else had left Friday night. We did see a horrible accident along the road and I think there was at least one fatality from it. So sad.
We arrived in Seward and both Garrett and I took a deep breath in and smelled the salty sea air! It is one of the BEST smells in the world! Nothing like it. We brought Oscar with us because he had never been to the ocean yet. He did well walking through all of the people until we arrived at the food tents. There was so much food scraps and garbage on the ground that he wanted to eat EVERYTHING! We quickly moved to another part of the street where it was cleaner.
Garrett and I decided that we would stop and get some food for lunch and we ate at the American Legion. They were selling half-racks of BBQ ribs with beans and cole slaw for $10! It was such a great deal and the food was delicious!!! From our table we could watch the mountain marathon runners running up the mountain. That is a crazy race! It is all uphill for the 1st half (literally up a mountain) and then a steep decent down so everyone finished with dirt all over their butts and legs and backs from sliding down the mountain. I told Garrett we should try it next year...he didn't think that sounded like fun. :)
Sunday we went to mass and then a tailgate party with the other young adults from church. It was so much fun with BBQ and Frisbee. It was a fairly mellow day with a few errands to run in the mix.
Monday, Garrett headed back to work but I didn't head back up to Fairbanks until Wednesday morning. So, Astin Bush and I took Oscar and our roommates dog up Rabbit Creek Trail to the Lake. It was a GREAT day for a hike with temperatures in the mid 80's. The view was beautiful as most of them are in AK. Astin and I failed to bring any bear spray or gun because she had never heard of any bears on that particular trail. There was too many people. Luckily we didn't run into any this trip either, but we did see a fresh pile of bear poop about halfway up the trail. At least we had dogs with us to give us fair warning if a bear did come around. There were some pretty dense parts of the trail too where you couldn't see through the brush on either side. A little nerve racking, but we survived. :)
Tuesday I hung out with Natalie and we took Oscar to the dog park and to the tennis courts. He enjoyed going in the brush behind the courts to find more tennis balls that people had lost. I think we found like 10 of them. It was a great 5 days of being home with Garrett and friends. Only another 2 weeks before I am back again!

No comments:
Post a Comment