Garrett and I spent the weekend with our friend Jon going to the Great Alaskan Sportsman Show. This is one of the biggest events in Anchorage. We had to park at Walmart and take a shuttle down the the Arena where it was being held because parking was so bad.
The Sportsman Show is an event that every Alaskan fisherman or hunter goes to. They had booths with everything from fishing charters, equipment to make your own flies, to meat processing equipment. There were over 500 booths and the event held 5-6 classes every hour on different hunting and fishing things.
Garrett, Jon, and I went to a 10 class seminar on how to build a log cabin. We are set and determined to build one someday. Jon has some property out near the Kenai river with a cabin on it. The boys are going to try to build a shed this summer with the skills we learned at the class. We'll see how that goes.
Garrett is getting geared up for fly fishing here in Alaska. He hasn't done much of it and doesn't have a rod, but we have friends who do so he is already planning trips for the summer. I took a fly fishing for women class. It was very informative and I was able to practice casting. It definitely takes some practice and skill, but I should be able to pick it up in no time. It is all about your THUMB. :)
Garrett took the opportunity to hand out some cards while we were at the event too. We figured it was a great way for him to market and enjoy ourselves at the same time. We definitely had a good time.
We will see how much fishing I get in this summer while I am up in Fairbanks. Garrett and I plan on going out fishing with Jon and Chrissy a few times when I am home on the weekends. It will be fun to go hang out at their cabin and fish till 2am.
The days are getting longer now too! You really notice it up here because the changes are so drastic. It was 8pm this weekend and we went for a walk with friends because the sun was still up. Garrett and I can't wait till this summer when it is sunny and light out all day and night! More time to fish!!!!
We've moved!
14 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment